Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Summer Evening Reflection

Finally some quiet! I am sitting outside ALONE! Tate is inside watching who knows what- he told Virginia that he just spent 5 days outside and wanted to be inside. This is true....he went to Ely, MN on a canoeing trip with Bashor Children's Home, so I understand. But, it would be nice if he would sit out here with me, oh well....more quiet time for me!
We are attempting to start a new little program with the girls so that we can stop yelling the same things at them all the time. Today I bought them each a dry erase board. We are going to use it as silent communication. The rule is that only Tate and I can write on it or erase something from it, and we will write what we need them to do. I saw this in one of the magazines I was reading a while back, now it is time. I am tired of yelling and being frustrated all the time. We are going to add a color code to what we put on the board. RED-needs to be done yesterday, GREEN- needs to be done now, and BLUE- needs to be done sometime today. We will see if this works and I will let you know!
This weekend was very busy for us. Friday was Ellyn's Birthday. She turned 3! Wow, I still can't believe that she is 3! We took the grandparents out for pizza at Starlite. My mom and dad had never been there before, and they really liked it! It reminded my mom of when we used to go out for Friday Night Pizza growing up. I think about those days a lot and hope that one day we can get into a habit of doing that too. Here is why it would have to be a habit, we eat out too much as a family. We have tried to scale back and I think that we have done a good job at doing that. What made it special growing up was that was really the only time we ate out. That will be another goal for the list to work on!
Then Sunday was Tate and My anniversary, 12 years. Tate has been a great husband. We have had our ups and downs. We have been through job losses, lay-offs, depressions (both of us, although only one of us needed medication) and having 3 beautiful girls that we are raising together. Tate and I have been together since High School, so in total we have actually been together 18 years! WOW!
Our anniversary started with finishing up the cleaning for Ellyn's party, which went very well. We got to spend a great afternoon with family and friends. We even had friends that were in from TX stop by to visit, it was great to see David and Cynthia, for even just a little bit. Then, we headed to dinner. We went to the Indian Garden for Indian food. Not too bad, but next time I will insist on Red Lobster (don't tell Tate, I gave in to the Indian since he had been gone for 6 days. Yes, honey I know that you are reading this). Then we were off for a nice walk along the St Joseph River in Mishawaka. It was still a little muggy but is was a nice walk. Then we hit the Hacienda for drinks, a mug for me and a beer for him. And then headed home. Nothing too exciting, we are just getting too old for that.
This week has been a normal week so far. If there is anything normal about having a bunch of kiddos that I love running about my house 24 hours 7 days a week!
I hope that everyone has a chance to open up your windows tonight.....it is wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment